The City of Greater Dandenong is committed to thorough, consistent and genuine community engagement that will inform responsible decision making for the benefit of the community.
Council recognises that decision making and service provision are enhanced when the community has an opportunity to provide input and express its expectations, aspirations and ideas.
There are many reasons that Council undertakes targeted engagement and consultation activities with the community. These include:
- topic-based open-ended community engagement
- strategy development (eg Council Plan, Community Wellbeing Plan)
- policy development
- strategic planning projects (land use, park upgrades)
- significant service planning projects
- projects that require community engagement as part of legislative requirements or funding obligations.
To ensure that Council's engagement is best practice, Council has developed a Community Engagement Policy and Framework. The policy outlines Council's commitment to thorough, consistent and genuine community engagement that will inform responsible decision making for the benefit of the community, while the framework provides for more comprehensive and broader community engagement with a wider range of mechanisms.
- Community Engagement Policy
- Consultations and community engagement
- Community forums and ward meetings
- Advisory committees and community reference groups
- Councillor representation on committees, peak industry bodies, community organisations and associations