Greater Dandenong Council will begin work on widening Abbotts Road in the first half of the 2020-21 financial year. The road will be widened between Taylors Road and National Drive.
What will the works include?
- Widening of Abbotts Rd to two lanes in each direction
- Abbotts road, Westbound: Dedicated one right turn lane and two through traffic lanes.
- Abbotts road, Eastbound: Dedicated one right turn lane, one through traffic lane and slip lane.
- Taylors Road, Northbound: Dedicated one left turn lane and through or right turn lane.
- Make sure 26m B-double and 36.5m B- triple can negotiate the road for right turning.
- Provisions of a new pedestrian path
- Upgrading storm water drainage and underground services
- Signalisation modification at Taylors Road intersection (stage 1) and National Drive intersection (stage 2)
- Relocating overhead powerlines
- Upgrading street lighting
Why are these works important?
Dandenong South is an important destination for workers in Melbourne’s south eastern growth corridor.
Abbotts Road is one of only a few east-west connections from the Casey residential growth areas into the Lyndhurst and Keysborough industrial area.
Abbotts Road is also a very important freight link.
How will the community benefit?
Widening Abbotts Road will improve traffic flow and reduce congestion.
The project will also result in the following benefits:
- Improve existing intersection arrangement and road conditions sufficiently to provide access to larger freight vehicles.
- Convenient and safe access for pedestrians, vehicles and cyclists
- Improved access for buses, emergency and service vehicles
- Improved public lighting
- Alleviate congestion issues.
- Enhance safety of the road users.
Timelines and next steps
Section 2 - between Taylors Road and National Drive is currently in the design and specification process.