Google analytics dashboard on laptop

Information Privacy

The Greater Dandenong City Council is strongly committed to the responsible handling of your personal information and protecting every individual’s rights to privacy. Council is bound by the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 (the Act) and the Health Records Act 2001Councillors and staff operate under the Act, council policies and codes of conduct to ensure the organisation complies with legislation when handling your information.

Privacy is considered a basic human right under the Victorian Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 and any personal information Council collects is protected under the relevant legislation.

Both the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001 define a set of principles, known as the Information Privacy Principles (IPP’s) and the Health Information Principles (HPP’s) respectively. These set the standard for public sector agencies to manage information appropriately.  

Privacy and Personal Information Policy - 324KB

Your personal or health information which is collected and held by Council can only be used for the purpose for which it was collected, unless otherwise required by law or your written consent has been obtained.  When your personal information is no longer required, Council disposes of it in accordance with the relevant legislation. 

Information Protected by Privacy Laws

The following summarises the type of personal information covered by privacy legislation:

  • Personal Information such as names, addresses and phone numbers;
  • Sensitive Information including racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, criminal records, political views, sexual preferences, memberships to groups such as unions and political parties; and
  • Health Information including medical records and assessments (including that for children, youth and the elderly); health care (including aged and disability care), palliative care (including physical and intellectual care); family day care (including immunisations).

Your Right to make a Privacy Complaint

If you believe a Victorian Government Agency, including Council has collected, used or disclosed your personal information inappropriately you have the right to make a complaint. The following short animation clip explains how to make a complaint to the Government Agency you believe has breach your privacy and how the Office of the Victorian Information Commission can assist you if you are not satisfied with the Agencies handling of your complaint. Click on this link to view clip

Additional Information

Privacy and Personal Information Policy - 324KB

Information Privacy - Frequently asked Questions - 150KB


Accessing Council’s Website

You can access and browse Council’s website anonymously without disclosing your personal information. Council does track visits to this site and uses the data to analyse for trends and statistics. This process does not collect any personal data.

In areas of this website where you decide to provide Council with your personal information, that information will be retained only for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose for which the information was collected, or as required by law. If you choose not to give us your personal information, you can still use most of this site.

Online payments

Council’s website uses secure transmission facilities for financial transactions. When entering payment information, please note that this transaction occurs directly between your bank and our payment gateway provider, Securepay. Council cannot access any or your credit card details.

Links to other sites

Council’s Privacy and Personal Information Policy does not apply to other websites that may be linked to our website, we recommend you read related privacy policies when you access other sites.

Why we collect personal information

The Greater Dandenong City Council only collects personal information for the purpose of delivering Council Services, or if required by law. Personal information can only be collected directly from the individual unless a representative of that individual has been appointed by law.

How we protect your personal information

Council is regulated by the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) and Health Complaints Commissioner to ensure it complies with legislated obligations.

Council maintains a secure system for storing personal and health information.  We have formal process and safeguards to ensure your personal information is protected at all times against misuse, lose, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.  These include but are not limited to:

You should be aware that there are risks in transmitting information across the internet.  If you are concerned about conveying personal information over the internet you can contact us by telephone, in person or by post.

How you can obtain access to your personal information

The Freedom of Information Act 2012 (FOI Act) gives an individual the right to request documents relating to their personal affairs (including health information) held by Council.

The FOI Act also gives an individual the right to request that incorrect or misleading information held by Council about them be amended or removed.

Request for access to documents containing personal information held by Council must be made in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2012 and in writing addressed to the:

Application to request documents under the Freedom of Information Act

Mail to: 
Freedom of Information Officer
City of Greater Dandenong
PO Box 200
Dandenong VIC 3175 

Email to Freedom of Information Officer:

Requests for Property Owners' Details

Owner contact details can only be disclosed in limited circumstances, where permitted by legislation or where the owner has consented to the release of their personal information.  Where such disclosure is permitted Council has a range of forms which must be completed.  Signed and returned to Council for processing. 

Ownership detail request forms are available for:

  • Serving a fencing notice or to have an adjoining fence repaired or replaced (Fences Act 1968).  Download the Fencing Form
  • Building related matters where adjoining owner details are required for a Protection Work Notice or Advertising in relation to proposed works in relation to a Report to Consent Application (Building Act 1993). Protection Work Notice Form

Formal identification such as a Driver’s License will need to be provide when submitting the above forms to provide proof of related property ownership.

Request for documents

If you are interested in viewing or obtaining copies of documents held by Council, you may need to apply under the Victorian Freedom of Information Act 1982.

Application to request documents under the Freedom of Information Act can be found on the Freedom of Information page.

Questions or concerns relating to your personal information

If you have any concerns relating to your personal information and how it is handled by Council or you wish to discuss a privacy related matter please contact Council’s Privacy Officer on 8571 1000, or if at anytime you believe Council has breached your right to privacy, please  forward a written complaint to Council’s  Information Privacy Officer:

Mail to: 
Information Privacy Officer
Greater Dandenong City Council
PO Box 200
Dandenong VIC 3715

Email to Freedom of Information Officer:

If you are unsatisfied with how Councils has handled your complaint you can contact the Office of the Victorian Information Commission:

If you are unsatisfied with how Councils has handled your complaint you can contact the Office of the Victorian Information Commission:

Mail to:
Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner
PO Box 24274
Melbourne  VIC  3001

Email to:

Privacy Statement

Personal Information collected by councils is used for municipal purposes as specified in the Local Government Act 1989 and the Local Government Act 2020. Personal information will be held securely and used solely for the purpose it is collected for or a directly related purposes. It will not be disclosed to any external party without your written consent, unless required or authorised by law. If you fail to provide required information, Council may be unable to provide certain services. If you wish to access or amend your personal information, or if you believe your personal information has been breached please contact Council’s Information Privacy Officer on 8571 1000. Greater Dandenong City Council is strongly committed to the responsible handling of personal information and is compliant with the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014 and the Health Records Act 2001. A copy of Council's Privacy and Personal Information Policy is available on Council’s website at