The Ian Street Streetscape Redevelopment will create a much improved and unique shopping and trade experience for this precinct in Noble Park, with undergrounding of power, better lighting, more street trees, improved pedestrian safety and landscaping works.
With funding by the Office of Suburban Development and support of the Noble Park Revitalisation Board the project will create a much improved shopping and visitor experience for patrons of this unique corner of Noble Park.
Ian Street is a traditional neighbourhood shopping strip within Noble Park. It is a street approximately 115 metres long from Mons Parade to Heatherton Road. Its main attributes include a cluster of culturally distinct retail businesses and services catering for the African and broader community.
The Ian Street Streetscape Improvement project will address the poor visual amenity of the street through the undergrounding of overhead powerlines, new street light poles, landscaping and new street furniture.
The project’s outcomes include:
- Improve the low lighting levels and removing visual clutter through the undergrounding of power.
- Supporting a walkable and well-connected centre with integrated uses and encourage residents and commuters to spend time and money on the street
- Introduce more landscaping and increasing the number of trees in Ian Street
- Improved pedestrian crossings with defined paving and extended pavement curb to allow for trees, landscaping, and seating
- Streetscape project also aims to be a catalyst for future investment especially with the existing vacant development site that currently contributes to a perceived lack of investment in the street.
What will the works include?
The project deliverables of the Ian Street Streetscape redevelopment will improve the street’s look by:
- Initially undergrounding of overhead powerlines.
- New street light poles and fibre optic conduits
- Landscaping, new street furniture and more trees
- Improved footpath and road pavements and greater safety for pedestrians
When will works occur?
Undergrounding of power will be undertaken in the first phase followed by the streetscape upgrade this year.
How is this project being funded?
This project has been partially funded by the Victorian Government through the Office of Suburban Development’s Suburban Revitalisation Program to the value of $680,000 with $120,000 funded through Council’s capital improvement program.
Who can I contact to discuss this project further?
Greater Dandenong contacts:
Placemaking and Revitalisation
Phone: 8571 1000
Made possible with the support of the Noble Park Revitalisation Board and funding from the Victorian Government.