The City of Greater Dandenong is undertaking a study on behalf of the Victorian Government to assess the need and feasibility of a community centre for Afghan communities.
At the 2021 Census there were over 25,000 people born in Afghanistan living in Victoria, with nearly 80% living in the City of Greater Dandenong, City of Casey and surrounding areas.
The study will be informed by a comprehensive consultation process that will seek to:
- Understand the needs of Afghan communities living, working, and spending time in the City of Greater Dandenong and neighbouring areas.
- Identify how Afghan communities come together to celebrate culture and build connections and capabilities.
- Identify how Afghan communities currently access facilities and services, and any barriers or difficulties experienced.
- Identify the aspirations and preferences Afghan communities have for accessing facilities and services; celebrating culture; and building connections and capabilities in their communities
- Explore possible options for how to improve access to programs, services, and facilities.
This consultation has now closed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who initiated the study?
The study was initiated by the Victorian State Government consistent with its longstanding recognition and support for multicultural communities in Victoria.
What is Council’s involvement?
Council is facilitating the project on behalf of the State Government and will support and manage the project.
How is the project being funded?
The study is being funded by the State Government through the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing.
How can I contribute to the project and stay in touch?
The consultants will be meeting with representatives from key community groups and organisations.
Community members are invited to submit their ideas and comments through the survey link (above).
How will my feedback be used?
Your feedback will help to increase understanding about the needs and interests of the Afghan communities and will help to inform the Feasibility Study.
When will the project be completed?
It is anticipated the study will be completed in September 2023.
What happens next?
The next steps will depend on what the Feasibility Study identifies. This includes whether further action or funding is needed to improve access to services and facilities for Afghan communities.
How can I stay informed?
Interested community members who would like to stay informed about the project, may provide their email address using the following form.