Have a wasteless Christmas lunch and dinner
Christmas is a great time to celebrate with family and friends but it’s also the season when we spend lots of money and time preparing a Christmas feast and are often left with lots of food waste.
Here are a few small and simple actions we can all take during the festive season to reduce waste.
- Any food leftovers after your Christmas lunch or dinner can be stored in the fridge or freezer using reusable containers.
- Transform your food leftovers into next day’s lunch or dinner.
- Compost any uneaten food leftovers or place in your green lid food and garden waste bin.
Preventing smelly bins
The summer season will mean much warmer weather meaning bins may become smelly. There are a few great ways to manage your green lid food and garden waste bin:
- Store your bin in the shade
- Keep the bin lid closed
- Layer your food waste with garden waste
- Wash your bin out regularly
Recycling your eligible containers
Gather up your empty drink containers and take them to your nearest Container Deposit drop off location. Most drink containers between 150ml and 3L are eligible for a 10c refund. Look for the '10c' mark on the container.
Containers are only eligible empty and in good condition. Do not crush containers.
Eligible drink containers include:
- Glass bottles
- Plastic bottles
- Aluminium cans
- Steel cans
- Liquid paperboard - such as the containers used for small juice drinks and UHT milk containers
- Other drink containers made from these materials
To find your nearest container deposit location, visit the Return-It website.