The realignment of Robinson and Masons Streets is part of a longer-term aspiration for Revitalising Central Dandenong to improve the length of Robinson from Princes Highway to Walker Street.
Robinson Street is a major north south link on the periphery of central Dandenong, providing access to the office and retail functions west of Lonsdale Street. Robinson Street is truncated at Walker Street, with vehicular and pedestrian traffic diverted onto Mason Street, near Hutton Street.
The realigned street will offer the same level of vehicle access to businesses, provide additional open space with future landscaping and trees, create a safer street environment to address recorded traffic accidents and support the commencement of the Dandenong Transport Hub initiative by Capital Alliance commencing in 2023.
The realignment of Robinson and Masons Streets will deliver a functional traffic design that enables traffic access to central Dandenong but discourages large volumes of through traffic. It will improve urban design to provide safe, pedestrian friendly public realm and bring character to the streetscape
The general objectives of the project are:
- Development of a high-quality streetscape that is safe and welcoming for the public
- Ensure that the role of Robinson and Mason Streets as primary collector roads servicing the western sector of central Dandenong is emphasised
- Enable traffic access to central Dandenong, but deter large volumes of through traffic and
- Retain on street parking provision.
What will the works include?
In the 2022-23 financial year, Council will deliver a detailed design and works to realign the southern portion of Robinson and Mason Streets from Scott Street to Walker Street. These works will improve connectivity, reduce congestion and improve circulation.
The realigned street will:
- maintain current vehicle access to local businesses
- create a safer street environment to address recorded traffic accidents
- deliver raised platforms to enhance pedestrian safety
- provide a new bus stop repositioned to align with the changed roadway and
- provide additional open space with seeded with grass as a holding treatment for future greening, landscape and tree planting.
When will works occur?
Detailed design and construction will take place in the 2022-2023 financial year.
How is this project being funded?
This project has been funded by the City of Greater Dandenong Council’s capital improvement program.
Who can I contact to discuss this project further?
Greater Dandenong contacts:
Janak Bharati, Co-ordinator Civil Projects, firstname.lastname@example.org
Martin Halden, Co-ordinator Strategic Transport, email@example.com
Jenny Pemberton-Webb, Placemaking and Revitalisation, firstname.lastname@example.org