Stray kittens between logs

Animal Microchipping, Desexing and Vaccination

The City of Greater Dandenong recognises the clear health and social benefits in owning a pet and encourages responsible animal ownership.

Responsible pet ownership means:

  • Registering cats and dogs with a Council and making sure they are microchipped.
  • Ensuring your pet is vaccinated to protect against disease.
  • We also recommend de-sexing your pet.

For more information on each of these topics, please read more below.

Free Desexing for Cats

Greater Dandenong Concession cardholders and people experiencing disadvantage can apply to have their cat desexed for free.

There are limited numbers for this program which will run until September 2023.

Read more information about free desexing for cats

Microchipping service by Council

Most veterinary clinics are able to implant microchips. Alternatively, Council's Animal Management Officers can also implant microchips for pension card holders. 

Name Standard fee Description
Microchip Implants for Pets by Council $30.00

Council's Animal Management Officer can also implant microchips for eligible pension card holders.

Contact Council on 8571 1000 to arrange an appointment. 


Source numbers

As of 1 July 2020, new state laws came into effect around the details recorded on microchip records. All dogs and cats born and microchipped after 1 July 2020 must have a source number from the Pet Exchange Register listed with the microchip details.

What is a source number?

A source number:

  • identifies an individual, breeder, business or organisation

  • is generated once an individual enrolls on the Pet Exchange Register

  • is automatically allocated to domestic animal businesses and foster carers following registration with Council.

Why do I need a source number?

The source number will identify where the animal was bred and can help prevent illegal breeding businesses, monitor animal welfare standards and trace hereditary medical conditions in licenced breeding establishments.

If you are selling or giving away a cat or dog you will also need to include the source number in the advertisement. It is illegal to advertise or to publish an advertisement without a source number. Penalties apply. 

Can I get my pet microchipped without a source number?

No. Licenced implanters can face penalties for failing to include the source number with the prescribed information recorded with the microchip.

How do I get a source number?

You can apply for a source number at Pet Exchange Register or telephone Animal Welfare Victoria on 136 186.

More information can be found at Central Animal Records and atAnimal Welfare Victoria

Animal Microchipping

Being able to identify your pet is very important in ensuring the quick and safe return to you if it gets lost. When Council collects a pet that is lost they make the best effort to return it straight to back to the owner rather than taking it to an animal shelter and microchips can speed up this process significantly. If your animal has current registration and the owner can be contacted, the animal can be returned without the need for impounding. 

Microchips are implanted under your pet's skin. They are encoded with an identification number which can be read by scanners. If your pet loses its collar and tag, council's residential amenity officers will still be able to find out where it comes from and contact you. 



How to get your pet microchipped

  • Most veterinary clinics are able to implant microchips
  • Council's Animal Management Officers can also implant microchips by appointment only. This service is available to all Greater Dandenong residents. Contact Council on 8571 1000 to arrange an appointment. Fee for this service is above.

Microchips are implanted under you pet's skin. They are encoded with an identification number which can be read by scanners. If your pet loses its collar and tag, Council's Residential Amenity Officers will still be able to contact you.

Depending on where you pet was microchipped, your pets microchip will be listed with one of the following registries. Contact these registries to find out if your information is up to date.

Central Animal Records Pty Ltd
22 Fiveways Blvd, Keysborough
(03) 9706 3187
(03) 9706 3198

Australasian Animal registry
(02) 9704 1450

(02) 8850 6800

Homesafe ID
1300 537 140

Greyhound Racing Victoria
(Greyhound microchip registration only)
(03) 8329 1139