Council’s Safe City CCTV Program commenced in 2009 and is one of several initiatives designed to improve community safety. The program operates cameras in and around key spaces within the City, which aim to create a safer environment for residents, businesses and visitors in Greater Dandenong.
Safe City CCTV cameras focus on areas of high community use and pedestrian traffic. They assist in; reducing crime levels by deterring potential offenders, the detection of crime and supporting the prosecution of offenders. The Safe City CCTV program has been welcomed by Victoria Police, local businesses and the community.
Safe City CCTV camera locations
There are clear signs erected in the areas where Safe City CCTV cameras operate.
The Safe City CCTV system currently covers a number of key areas, including:
- Dandenong Central Activity District
- Hemmings St, Dandenong
- Brady Road, Dandenong North
- Menzies Avenue, Dandenong North
- Springvale Central Activity District
- Noble Park Central Activity District and Skate Park
Footage storage and access
All footage captured is transferred in real-time to either Dandenong or Springvale Police Stations where the system can be proactively monitored by Victoria Police, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Recorded footage and images not part of ongoing police investigation, court proceedings, or not required for any other lawful reason, will be kept for a minimum of 30 days. Footage and images will not be given to any person or agency unless required by law. The access to and use of recorded footage captured by the Safe City CCTV system will be made available in the following circumstances:
- In compliance with the needs of Victoria Police, in connection with the investigation of a crime
- In compliance with the needs of City of Greater Dandenong Authorised Officers, in connection with the investigation of a crime
- If necessary, for the purpose of legal proceedings
- When required by a duly authorised subpoena
- Under the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1982
- As otherwise required or permitted by law
In accordance with the Safe City CCTV Program Code of Practice, Council cannot provide any recorded footage relating to traffic offences or matters relating to insurance.
Safe City CCTV Guidelines
The City of Greater Dandenong’s Safe City CCTV Program operates under a Council endorsed Public Space CCTV Policy and is governed by a strict Code of Practice and Protocols that ensure the Program is held to the highest level of integrity and accountability.
The Code of Practice sets the standards on how the Safe City CCTV system operates through the establishment of 12 key principles that cover a range of topics including:
- Privacy and human rights of individual members of the public
- System responsibility and compliance
- Access to and the retention of footage
- Effective management and operation of the program
- Program purpose