City of Greater Dandenong is committed to reducing the amount of waste being sent to landfill, through re-using and recycling waste.
Greater Dandenong residents are entitled to one free hard waste collection each financial year (1 July to 30 June).
The hard waste service is 'at call', meaning residents can book a collection when it suits them.
To find out more about the hard waste collection service view the hard waste brochure.
Booking your hard waste collection
There are several ways for residents to book their one free hard waste collection.
WM Waste Management Services on 9721 1915 between 8am and 5pm Monday to Friday.
WM Waste Management Services will advise when items to be collected are to be left out and when collection will take place.
They will then send you the following:
- hard waste brochure – all rules and guidelines, plus information on what items are accepted and not accepted for collection.
- pink “BOOKED" sticker – this sticker must be displayed when placing your hard waste out
It is very important to follow the guidelines. Unacceptable items will not be collected.
Putting your hard waste out
Make sure you place your hard rubbish out the weekend before the collection. If not, the free collection will be forfeited.
The maximum amount of waste allowed to be put out for collection is three cubic metres.
There are two options to choose from when placing your hard waste out for collection
Option 1: Putting hard rubbish on your property – highly recommended
We encourage you to choose the option of having your hard waste collected from inside your property (e.g. your front yard), if possible. This:
- allows you to arrange the item for collection at a time that suits you
- removes the opportunity for others to add to your pile and you exceeding the 3 cubic metre allowance
- helps maintain a clean and tidy street
Collections from inside your property must be easily accessible and within five metres of property entrance.
Option 2: Putting hard rubbish on the nature strip
If you choose to put your hard waste on the nature strip, items MUST NOT be put out earlier than the Saturday prior to the scheduled collection week and must be out by 6am on the Monday of the scheduled week of collection.
Important collection information
- Please ensure material is out for collection by 6am on Monday. Please do not add to the collection pile after 6am on the Monday.
- Not all of your waste may be removed on the same day.
- Your items may be collected by up to two collection vehicles to ensure as much is recycled and re-used as possible.
- All material collected (including compacted material) is taken to the Knox Transfer Station (KTS) for sorting and recycling.
- A 'knock back' notice will be placed in your letterbox if any non-compliant items are placed out for collection.
Additional hard waste collection (User Pays)
Residents can book additional hard waste services throughout the year at their own cost. These additional services will be paid directly to WM Waste Management Services at the time of booking.
Does it need to go into hard waste?
Reusing items is a great way to look after the environment, save money and reduce the amount of material sent to landfill.
If items are of good quality and in good condition there are several things to consider before booking a hard waste collection.
Council runs a number of reuse and recycle drop off day events throughout the year for small and large household items.
To find out more about upcoming Homecycle and Re-use and Recycle Drop off Day events please visit Council's events page.