Dandenong Market signage

Promote your Event

Once an event date has been set, it is beneficial for you to promote your event to your target audience.

It is recommended that the promotional planning begin a minimum of three months prior to the event to ensure best chance of success.

Before your promotional plan commences, you should be able to answer these questions:

  • What is the event about?
  • Who will the event attract (ie. who is the target audience)?
  • How much budget is there to promote the event?

Promotional opportunities

Promotional events signs

Council’s community event signs are a great way for local community and not-for-profit groups to promote their events. See below for more information.

Building Illumination Opportunities

The Drum Theatre's historic façade features stunning external lighting that provides a unique opportunity to display a variety of colours to reflect significant events or matters of public importance.

If you would like to commemorate a special event or matter through Drum Theatre’s building illumination you will need to submit your request. All requests will be assessed by the City of Greater Dandenong and should be submitted no later than 28 days prior to the requested illumination date. Read more information

Local media

Local newspapers provide valuable promotion to the public who may not use an online medium. The local newspapers are private businesses not managed by Council. Their contact details are below.

  • The Dandenong Journal
    Cnr Princes Highway and Army Rd, Pakenham
    Phone: 5941 0666
  • Greater Dandenong Leader
    Phone: 9875 8333
    Email: dandenong@leadernewspapers.com.au

Our Community

Our Community is a website dedicated to supporting not-for-profit organisations and has many useful resources for event organisers.



Promotional signs

Promotional signs generally require a planning permit from Council. Please note: It is under the discretion of Council to either grant or refuse the issue of a planning permit. 

Application fees apply for planning permits. Restrictions apply on the size of the sign which may be displayed (if approved). 
If you are planning on using signs other than the community event signs to promote your event, please contact Council’s Planning and Design Unit. 

If you display a sign or signs that need a planning permit without first obtaining that permit, you could be subject to planning enforcement action.

This is a serious matter which could result in fines and court action. On the spot penalties of up to $1,652 apply if signage is erected without council approval.

Promotional signs not supported by Council

Council does not support the following types of promotional signs:

  • Electronic variable message signs (VMS) - Trailer mounted and static VMS signs are actively discouraged for any promotional or advertising purposes on private land. These signs should only be used temporarily for traffic management purposes.
  • Signs abutting major roads and freeways - Temporary promotional signs are strongly discouraged on or adjacent to major roads and freeways.
  • Signs located on Council land - Promotional signs that are visible from roads adjacent to council parks and reserves are strongly discouraged (or may be prohibited). Before making a planning application, written consent will be required from Council’s Property Officer.
  • Real Estate Boards - Council is unlikely to provide a permit for real estate agent (promotion) boards on residential properties.

Further information about promotional signs:

Greater Dandenong Signs Information Guide - 1.6MB

Community Roadside Event signs

Council’s community event signs are a great way for local community and not-for-profit groups to promote their events.

Eight signs have been installed across Greater Dandenong at the below locations and community groups can book one or more of the signs.

Sign locations


Signage bookings

Bookings are free but sign-writing and installation costs must be covered by individual groups and signs need to be made and installed by a professional signage contractor. 

To book one or more community signs, fill in a community signs booking form and email it to events@cgd.vic.gov.au:

Community signs booking form

Signs are not booked until you have received a confirmation from Council.

The community event signs are blue landscape style boards. When no event information is displayed, they have the Greater Dandenong logo as the default item.

For more information about the boards and to check availability please contact Council.