Construction site with construction signs on a fence

Civil Works Permits

A permit is required for civil works if you need to carry out excavation works on:

  • a footpath
  • nature strip
  • roadway

This includes any connection to Council's stormwater assets installed in a drainage easement. You must get a permit before you start this work. For industrial, commercial or multi-dwelling developments, you also need a town planning permit.

How to apply for a permit

From Friday 1 July 2022, Civil Works Permit Applications will need to submitted via an Online Portal (see 'Apply' button below). Council will no longer be accepting paper or email copies of the application form.

To complete the online submission, you will require a digital copy of the following and payment will be required to be made online at the time of submission.

  • A current copy of Certificate of Currency of $10 million Public Liability Cover
  • A site plan/sketch of site and proposed works with dimensions

Apply for Civil Works Permit

Permit conditions and application instructions:

  • You must pay a non-refundable permit fee when you apply. 
  • Council reserves the right to charge a bond under certain circumstances. The applicant will be contacted directly by Council if this is the case following the review of their application.
  • The permit is valid for 12 months from the date Council issues it.
  • If you do not get a permit, Council can fine you up to $1000.
  • You must have a minimum $10 million public liability insurance. You can get this cover from any insurance company. You need it when you are doing works on or through a road reserve.

Arranging an inspection

Council requires a compulsory pre and post onsite inspection before the Civil Works Permit can be finalised.

Book an Inspection Now

Civil Works Permit Fee

Name Standard fee Description
Civil Works Permit Fee $300

A non-refundable permit fee (GST free) is applicable with each application.