truck under underpass

Heavy Vehicle Access Permits

When you need a permit

You need a permit to operate a heavy vehicle or special purpose vehicles on local roads. Heavy vehicles are either:

  • more than 19m long, 2.5m wide and 4.3m high
  • 42.5 tonnes.

Apply for a permit

The National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR) issues permits.

To apply for a permit, visit the NHVR website.

Council has reviewed the local road network in the City of Greater Dandenong and has provided several pre-approved routes.

To get your permit faster, select these pre-approved routes. These routes are available in the 'journey planner' when you submit your application via the NHVR website. They are also on the VicRoads website.

Illegal use of local roads

If you believe a heavy vehicle is illegally using a local road, you can ask the NHVR to enforce local road restrictions for heavy vehicles.

National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR)



Call: 1300 MYNHVR (1300 696 487)

VicRoads Heavy Vehicles Services


Call: 13 11 70