outdoor chairs and tables

Outdoor Dining

The City of Greater Dandenong has a number of outdoor dining options. Read more information below about these options available for businesses.

Footpath Activity

Footpath activity allows you to provide outdoor dining on the footpath immediately in front of your business.

Apply now

Note: If your business currently holds a Footpath Activity Permit, then no further approvals are required from Council to continue trading on the footpath, in accordance with your current permit.

Expanded Footpath Trading to Adjoining Properties

This option allows businesses to apply to temporarily expand their footpath activity to the front of their neighbouring business (on either side) with their written consent.

To expand your footpath activity, you will need an Expanded Footpath Activity Permit by completing the Engagement for Trading on Adjacent Frontage form below.

Engagement for Trading on Adjacent Frontage Form

Your neighbouring business must provide their written consent for you to use the space in front of their business. Complete this form and return it to Council via Customer Service Centres or post, email or fax.

A site plan should be prepared detailing the items that will be placed in your neighbour’s footpath activity area.

Kerbside Car Park Trading

This allows businesses that meet the criteria the opportunity to use the car parking spaces in front of their business for kerbside car park trading with the consent of neighbouring businesses.

Kerbside car park trading permits will only be issued, where it is safe and practicable and supported by neighbouring businesses. Expressions of Interests will be assessed on a case-by-case basis by Council and may require referral to other authorities.

Victorian Government Grants

The Victorian Government has available a number of grants for Victorian businesses. Check out grant opportunities on the Victorian Government's website

Before you purchase any outdoor dining items, please remember that Council conditions and performance standards still apply and if in doubt, seek Council approval prior to purchasing. It is also advised, that the number of patrons permitted (density quotient) in an outdoor area should be calculated prior to ordering any furniture for outdoor dining.

Further information and resources

Coronavirus Victoria – Guidance for Food Services Sector
Hospitality Industry Restart Guidelines
Calculating the two and four square metre rule
Maximum number of patrons’ poster

DISCLAIMER:  Note restrictions pertaining to outdoor dining are subject to the direction of the Chief Health Officer and could change from time to time.