shipping containers

Other Local Laws

Council regulates the use of charity bins, skips and shipping containers to ensure the City does not become unsightly.

Local laws apply to where you can use and place charity bins, skip bins and shipping containers. 

Skip Bin companies wishing to place skip bins on public land within City of Greater Dandenong must obtain a permit first.

Did you know you must also display your property number clearly so emergency services can easily find properties. 

Skip Bin Permit

Name Standard fee Description
Skip Bins – 3 Days $127

Fourth and subsequent days $39 per day

Skip Bins - Annual $288.50

Bin Companies Only

Impounded Containers and Other Large Items $221.50 +

Fee plus the cost of transport


Charity Donation Bins

No charity donation bins can be placed on Council land or properties.

All charity bins in the City of Greater Dandenong are on private property and it is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain the site.

Information on illegal rubbish dumping

If you have any concerns relating to charity bins contact the relevant charity:

  • Australian Red Cross: 9464 6311
  • Baptcare: 9318 0606
  • Epilepsy Foundation Victoria: 0413 689 601
  • Paravin: 9357 9683
  • Vinnies: 1800 621 349 

Skip Bins

A skip must be placed on private land if it is possible to do so. With this no permit will be required to place skip bins on your private residential property.

A permit WILL be required to place a skip bin on council or public land, including roads and council reserves.

 A permit will only be considered if you are unable to place the skip on private land.

There are two types of permits:

* Annual Permit

* Single use (3 day permit) 

Applying for a Skip Bin permit

If a Skip Bin permit is required complete an application form below.

Skip Bin Application

Fees apply.

When submitting an application, the applicant must attach proof of a $20 million public liability insurance cover indemnifying Council against any possible claims arising from the activity.

The skip company or the resident can apply for the permit. Bin hire companies whose bins comply with the relevant codes of practice can apply for an annual permit to operate within the City of Greater Dandenong. This permit will allow the company authority to place bins on council or public land, provided that Council is notified where bins are placed 24 hours prior to their placement.

Permit conditions

  • Must adhere to all relevant statutory obligations and codes of practice which exist in the
  • State of Victoria (see VicRoads website for code of practice)
  • Vehicle and pedestrian safety must be assured at all times and appropriate provisions must be put in place
  • Bin hire companies must comply with parking regulations in the area of placement
  • A bin cannot be placed in a dead-ended right of way without written consent of all properties whose access is restricted by such placement
  • Bins must be placed in such a way as not to obstruct service authority assets, taxi ranks and bus stops
  • Strict adherence to all regulations governing the operating of Clearways and No Standing areas (ie within 10 metres of an intersection) is required at all times, unless specific written exemptions are given by Council (NOTE: A further permit is required in paid parking areas)
  • Bins should be identified by the supplier’s name and 24 hour contact telephone number
  • Bins can only be placed in one location for a maximum of four days.

Other conditions may also be applied, dependent upon local conditions at the time.

Shipping containers

The City of Greater Dandenong does not allow shipping containers to be placed anywhere on council land or roads.

In some circumstances, shipping containers may be allowed on private property, depending on the zoning of the property and the use of the container. Contact Council Planning Department for more information.

Property Numbers

Correctly displayed property numbers are critical for emergency services when they are trying to identify the location of properties where urgent assistance is required.

Clearly identified properties are also more likely to receive their mail as expected.

A person who owns or occupies land must display on the land the number allocated to the land, so that the number is clearly visible from the road frontage.

The number must be readable from the point where the road meets the kerb, shoulder or road related area.