tree fallen down

Heat, Storm and Power Outages – Update

tree fallen down

Many regions of Victoria are currently experiencing severe weather events ranging from high winds and storms to high heat. 

Since the storm on Tuesday 13 February, Council is has received over 850 reports and requests for assistance, mostly in relation to fallen trees. We are working to clear these as soon as possible.

A number of our parks are closed to the public until further notice due to storm damage. We appreciate your patience as we work towards reopening these parks.

  • Alex Wilkie Nature Reserve, Springvale South
  • Amersham Reserve, Springvale South 
  • Birkley Reserve, Noble Park North
  • Bundamba Reserve, Noble Park North 
  • Colchester Reserve, Keysborough

If your home is still without power and you need to charge your phone or mobile devices, you are welcome to visit our libraries. They are open until 9pm on weeknights and 5pm on weekends. You must bring your own charger.

If you are a resident without power who is power dependent and requires urgent medical assistance, please call Triple Zero.

For information on supports and keeping safe and well during severe heat and power outages, see below.

Information on Relief Payments, Food Safety and Other Supports. 

Fallen Trees

We are working to clear the trees as soon as possible. We are prioritising requests based on safety and accessibility. We appreciate your patience and understanding, as we work through the backlog of requests over the coming days/weeks.

When to call VICSES during a storm emergency graphic

Personal Hardship Relief Payment

The Personal Hardship Assistance Program helps people experiencing financial hardship in emergencies. The program includes Emergency Relief Payments and Re-establishment Assistance.

The Department of Families and Housing's (DFFH) Personal Hardship Assistance Program (PHAP) relief payments are available to Victorians for the Tuesday 13 February storms:

  • Whose principal place of residence is within an evacuation area for the fires
  • Whose principal place of residence (house) has had direct damage from the fires or storms
  • Who have unmet immediate relief needs

These payments are not available for people who are experiencing power outage alone. People should direct these issues to their electricity company to seek compensation where available.

Application advice is now live on the VicEmergency website under the Relief and Recovery Section for the bushfires and storms.

Please refer all requests for PHAP payments to the Vic Recovery Hotline on 1800 560 760 (press 9 for an interpreter).

More information regarding a Personal Hardship Relief Payment can be obtained from the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing website.

Power Outages

We are also aware that there are some power significant power outages across the City of Greater Dandenong. If you are a resident without power who is power dependent and requires urgent medical assistance, please telephone Triple Zero (000).

Residents who experienced power outages may be able to claim compensation for power outages via their electricity provider. Submit a claim - United Energy.

To keep up to date on power outages visit Outage Map - United Energy.

For further advise about power outages visit the Emergency Prepare Website.

Power Outages and Food Safety

The most important thing is to try to keep cold and frozen food cold. If food is still cold to touch (less than 5 °C), it is safe to use.

Before and after a power failure:

  • Once cold or frozen food is no longer cold to touch, it can be kept and eaten for up to 4 hours and then it must be thrown away.
  • If it is raw meat, it should be cooked and eaten.
  • Eat hot food within 4 hours of it being heated or throw it away.
  • If power is restored when frozen food is still frozen solid the food is safe.

During a power failure, the following actions will keep frozen and cold food frozen or chilled for longer:

  • Move food from the fridge to the freezer.
  • If available, put bagged ice under food packages and trays stored in freezers and fridges if power failure lasts more than 1 hour.
  • Place an insulating blanket over cold or frozen food, where possible.
  • Only open fridge and freezer doors when absolutely necessary, this will keep the food and air temperature colder for longer.

More information about Food Safety is on the Department of Health website or you can call the Food Safety Hotline on 1300 364 352.

Recovering from an emergency

If your home has been damaged by flooding or winds or you were otherwise impacted by the storms and power outages, visit the Emergency Prepare Website for useful tips to help you and your neighbours recover.

Keeping Safe and Well in Severe Heat

Taking care of yourself and others in extreme heat

It’s important to know how to take care of yourself and others and stay safe in the heat. Here are some tips from VicEmergency:

  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Keep yourself cool by using wet towels, putting your feet in cool water and taking cool (not cold) showers. You can also use a spray bottle to wet your skin.
  • Stay inside and wear light, loose-fitting clothing. Close curtains to keep the sun out.
  • Spend as much time as possible in cool or air-conditioned buildings. Consider visiting shopping centres, libraries, cinemas or community centres in areas with power. 
  • Don't forget to check in with family, friends and neighbours.
  • Remember to slip, slop, slap if you go outdoors.

Keeping your pets safe in extreme heat

Keep your pets safe in the heat by:

  • never leaving your dog unattended in a hot car (it takes less than six minutes for a dog left in a hot car to be affected by severe heat exhaustion, which can be fatal.),
  • only walking your dog in the early morning or evening when it's cooler to reduce the risk of heatstroke and burning their paws on the pavement. Use your palm to ensure the pavement/footpath is cool enough for their paws,
  • ensuring your pets have access to cool, fresh water and plenty of shade to rest in,

If your pet is showing signs of a heat-related illness, contact your local Vet immediately.