From Wednesday 1 February 2023, these single-use plastic items will be banned in Victoria:
- single-use plastic drinking straws
- single-use plastic drink stirrers
- single-use plastic cutlery
- single-use plastic plates
- single-use plastic cotton buds
- food or drink packaging made from expanded polystyrene.
The ban applies to businesses and organisations including not-for-profits, government, sports clubs, schools, and others that are incorporated.
Business information sessions
Attend a free online business information session to learn more and ask questions. Sessions are held every Friday at 11am.
What can I do to prepare?
- Start running down your existing stock and do not order any more banned items.
- Speak to your suppliers about sustainable options they have available.
- Help your staff prepare for the ban by telling them about the changes and how to explain them to the your customers.
- Displaying official signage can help your team explain the ban. Download free factsheets, posters and digital materials – available in multiple languages