Home renovation

Building Permits

A building permit is required before commencement of most building work. The definition of 'building work' in the legislation includes new buildings, demolition and/or alteration. In many cases the builder or architect/draftsperson obtains the permit on behalf of the property owner.

Building permits are issued by building surveyors. An application for a building permit may be made to the Municipal Building Surveyor (Council's appointed official) or a private building surveyor (a registered person privately appointed by or on behalf of the owner, having no connection with Council).

The actual application for a building permit can only be done by law by the owner of land or a person acting as an agent of the owner of the land. An agent is required to have written authority to act as the agent from the owner.

Before you apply for a building permit

Check if you need a building permit

Building Permit Fees

A building application fee is applicable and is determined by type and size of works. For an approximate quote contact Council.

Name Lodgement Fee Description
Building Application Fee $121.90

A levy of $1.28 cents per $1000 of the cost of work over $10,000 is also payable.


How to apply for a building permit

In order to obtain a building permit, you are required to complete a building permit application form.

Building Permit Application Form - 166KB

Provide copies of documents

Provide three copies of the following documents (prepared by a registered building practitioner):

  • Site plan showing the location of the existing dwelling and the proposed new works, any easements, site boundaries, etc.
  • If the works are located on or close to the boundary, also show the outline of the neighbouring house with dimensions from the boundary
  • Floor plan detailing length and width of proposed work
  • Elevations showing the profile of the proposed building works including its height to roof and the way it connects to the existing building
  • A section detailing material types and sizes, spacing and connection methods
  • Details, such as footings and framing members
  • Engineers structural drawings and computations (please note that the Municipal Building Surveyor may request design certification from the engineer)

The following items may also be required:

  • Copy of land title
  • Smoke alarm location plan (ensuring the proposed location is within 3 metres of bedrooms)
  • If the application is for domestic works costing more than $16,000 and not constructed by the owner of the property, evidence of home warranty insurance will be required
  • Owner-builders consent from the Building Practitioners Board if constructing as an owner-builder and cost of works are $16,000 or more. Legislation was introduced in June 2005 with special requirements for the issuing of building permits to owner builders.
  • Energy rating certificate and report
  • Two copies of soil report
  • Two copies of a reestablishment survey plan prepared by a licensed land surveyor
  • Details of any town planning permit and copy of endorsed plans
  • Details of any protection of adjoining property before and during building work
  • Details of precautions to protect the safety of the public before and during the building work

Lodge the building permit application

Lodge your completed application:

  • Email:council@cgd.vic.gov.au
  • Post  to:
    Building Service
    City of Greater Dandenong
    PO Box 200
    Dandenong VIC 3175
  • In person: only at the Dandenong Civic Centre, 225 Lonsdale Street DANDENONG 3175.

Paying the application fees

A building application fee is applicable and is determined by type and size of works. For an approximate quote contact Council

Payment of Application Fees

Once your application is received it will be registered by the Building team and an invoice will generally be emailed within two business days.

Payment Options:

In person:Customer Service Centres

Online Credit Card Payment (directions also outlined on invoice):

  • Online payment

  • Permit\Application No: ‘Enter your invoice number’

  • Follow the prompts to make payment via secure payment portal

By Phone: Contact Council on 8571 1000 and quote invoice number.

Visit Australia Post: (Cheque made payable to ‘City of Greater Dandenong):

Mail cheque to:
City of Greater Dandenong
PO Box 200
Dandenong VIC 3175

NOTE: Cheque must be submitted with application form to avoid a delay in processing your application while awaiting payment.
Assessment of the application will not be completed until applicable fees have been paid in full and all required information is provided.