Asset Protection Permits

Please Note: Changes from 1 July 2024 to the Asset Protection Permits

From Monday 1 July 2024, Asset Protection Permit Applications will need to be submitted via an Online Portal (a link will be provided on this page).

Council will no longer be accepting paper or email copies of the application form.

To complete the online submission, you will require details of the following and payment of non-refundable permit fee and refundable bond will be required to be made online at the time of submission.

  • Public Liability Information (Policy Number and Expiry) Date of demolisher and/or builder
  • Planning Permit Number for all Earthworks (if applicable)

Current Procedures for Asset Protection Permits

The purpose of the Asset Protection Permit (APP) is to ensure that public assets and infrastructure (eg footpaths, drains, roads, laneways etc) are kept safe, maintained in a serviceable condition and damages repaired at the completion of the building/demolition works. Under the APP the applicant shall be held liable for any damages caused by the building/demolition works.

Under Council's Local Law No. 2 Clause 23 - Building Works, a fine of up to $1,250 may apply if you commence work without a valid Asset Protection Permit.

There are set fees and security bonds which will apply to the Asset Protection Permit. The general fees are listed below.

Asset Protection Permit - 608KB

Final Inspection Request Form - 176KB

How to apply for a Asset Protection Permit

In order to obtain a permit, you are required to complete a Asset Protection Permit application.

  • You will be required to have a $10 million public liability insurance during the period of works and be valid to the end of the works.
  • Demolition and New Dwelling permits can be on the one application form, only one bond will apply, the larger of the two but two fees will apply.
  • The property owner/the builder or the demolisher can apply.
  • A pre-commencement report is not required as Council will conduct an inspection prior and after works. 

Lodging the Asset Protection Permit Application Form

Application can be submitted through the following methods:

Mail to:
City of Greater Dandenong
PO Box 200

Email to:

Fax to: (03) 8571 5196

In person: Return completed form to any Council’s Customer Service Centres

For further information or enquiries please phone 8571 1000. 

Asset Protection Permit Fees

Name Standard fee Description Bond
Single Residential $329 $2,500 Single Frontage Bond / $5,000 Corner Lot Bond
Demolition $329

Fee per Lot/Unit

$4,400 Single Frontage Bond / $8,800 Corner Lot Bond
Multi-Unit Residential (Up to 5 Units) $473 - $903

2 Units - $473
3 Units - $616
4 Units - $760
5 Units - $903

$3,000 Single Frontage Bond / $6,000 Corner Lot Bond
Large Residential Development/Apartments $1,190-$3,060

6 Units - $1,050
7 Units - $1,190
8 Units - $1,335
9 Units - $1,480
10 Units - $1,625
11 Units - $1,765
12 Units - $1,910
13 Units - $2,055
14 Units - $2,195
15 Units – $2,340
16 Units - $2,485
17 Units - $2,625
18 Units - $2,770
19 Units - $2,915
20 Units - $3,060 (capped)

$8,250 Single Frontage Bond / $16,500 Corner Lot Bond
Industrial $401 $3,300 Single Frontage Bond / $6,600 Corner Lot Bond
Commercial less than $1m $473



$3,300 Single Frontage Bond / $6,600 Corner Lot Bond
Commercial between $1m to $5m $945

Fee per lot/unit

$5,500 Single Frontage Bond / $11,000 Corner Lot Bond
Commercial more than $5m $3,080 $8,250 Single Frontage Bond / $16,500 Corner Lot Bond

When is an Asset Protection Permit required?

An asset protection permit is required when undertaking construction, renovation, alteration, relocation etc:

  • Building works where the cost exceeds $10,000
  • Swimming pools, spas and water features where the cost exceeds $5,000
  • Any building demolition work
  • Earthworks - Planning Permit Work

How long does it take to obtain a Permit?

The permit will be issued within ten working days, subject to receipt of all required information and payment. The permit is valid for the specified period of 24 months from the date of permit being issued, unless renewal or extension.

Security bonds - what are they for and how do I reclaim one?

What is security bond?

A security bond is required to cover any potential costs associated with damages to Council infrastructure as a direct result of your works.  

If you choose the option for Council to undertake the rectification works, the costs will be deducted from the bond and the remainder refunded to the applicant accordingly. If the rectification costs exceed the bond amount, Council will cover the excess and invoice you to recover the additional amount.

How do I reclaim my security bond?

The process to return the security bond is initiated by requesting a final inspection of the completed works through the following:

1. The final inspection can only occur if all of the conditions below are met:

  • Footpath and vehicle crossing are free of building materials, debris, mud etc.
  • Nature strip is levelled and grass seeded
  • Temporary fencing/electricity supply pole is removed
  • Bins and skips are cleared from the nature strip
  • Hot water system is completely installed
  • Certificate of Occupancy, Final Inspection Certificate or Statement of Completion (whichever is applicable), is submitted to Council via email to

2. Book a final inspection by emailing completed Final Inspection Request form to or by phoning 8571 5350. Allow up to 5 business days for an inspection to occur.

On completion of the inspection and if Council’s authorised officer is satisfied that:

  •  No damage has been caused; or
  •  Damage has been repaired to Council’s standards and/or specifications

A letter of release will be sent to the permit holder and the bond will be returned accordingly. 

Is there an alternative to rectify damages?

The applicant may choose to carry out rectification works for the damage identified through the Asset Protection Permit final inspection. Discuss this option with Council's inspector, prior to undertaking any works as you may be required obtain other relevant permits.

See the Civil Works Permit page for more information.

How do I renew or extend my Permit?

You do not need to complete another application form. Council will send you a letter advising that works should not continue without the valid Asset Protection Permit. I

f your works need to be extended or renewed, you need to:

  • Send email to quoting your Asset Protection Permit application number and address

  • Pay applicable renewal fee via cash, cheque or credit card at Council

  • Council will then issue a renewal permit, via email or post (if email is not provided)