Why do I need to register my pet?
- The law requires all owners to register cats and dogs over three months with their local council
- Registering cats and dogs greatly improves their chances of being returned to the owner if they become lost. The Domestic Animals Act 1994 prohibits the return of unregistered pets to the owner.
- If a dog does become lost and Rangers can confirm it is currently registered, every attempt will be made to return the dog directly to the owner without the need to impound it.
- Registering your pet provides Council access to a rich source of information to assist the community more effectively. This allows them to respond to calls of dogs wandering at large, dog attacks, nuisance barking, cat trespassing, stray and feral cat colonies control of dangerous, menacing and restricted breed dogs; monitor pet shops, boarding facilities and breeding establishments; establishing and monitoring dog off leash areas; and monitoring parks and reserves to maintain a safe environment for all users.
- A portion of the fee goes to State Government (Bureau of Animal Welfare) to fund research and education into responsible pet ownership
Important information you need to register your pet for the first time
The law requires all owners of a cat or dog over 3 months old, to register it with Council. The registration period is from 10 April to 9 April each year. Failure to register or renew the registration of your pet can incur a penalty of over $300.
- All cats and dogs must be microchipped before they can be registered.
- Pets under three months old will be exempt of paying the registration fee, for the remainder of that registration period.
- Pets adopted from recognised adoption agencies are exempt from the registration fee for the remainder of that registration period.
- Having your pet desexed reduces the fee by 66 per cent for life. If your pet is desexed, you will need to provide the certificate for our records.
- If you desex your pet within 1 month of paying the registration fee and provide the certificate, we will refund the difference.
For a new registration the following must be provided:
- Completed Pet Registration form
- Must provide evidence of microchipping
- Must provide acceptable evidence if your pet meets the criteria for reduced fee. Further details below.
Cat Registration Fees
Cats will be registered until 9 April 2021. All fees below include the $4 State Government Levy.
Dog Registration Fees
Dogs will be registered until 9 April 2021. All fees below include the $4 State Government Levy.