Handling syringes safely
Residents can dispose containers with used syringes or pick up new containers at:
Monash Health Needle Syringe Program,122 Thomas Street, Dandenong (Monash Health Community Building)
Telephone: 9792 7631
Open hours: Monday to Friday 9am–5pm
Customer Service Centre - Dandenong is also a drop off and collection point.
Reporting dumped syringes
Help keep our city safer by letting us know if you see syringes that have been left in public places.
You can get syringes cleaned up by reporting their location to Customer Service on 8571 1000.
Needle stick injury
If someone is pricked or scratched by a used syringe, stay calm and:
- wash gently with soap and water
- do not squeeze or suck the wound
- apply an antiseptic, such as iodine or dettol
- put a band-aid over the wound
- see your doctor within 24 hours to get advice on the risk of infection and your options.
It is useful to have a first aid kit for such emergencies.
For 24/7 confidential counselling and support for any drug-related concern, free call DirectLine on 1800 888 236.