Advertising of your Planning Permit Application

Advertising (public notification) of planning applications over the Festive and New Year holiday period 2023/2024

Council is extending the Public Notice period during the Festive and New Year holiday period to ensure that interested parties have adequate time to review application information.

The public notice exclusion period is Monday 18 December 2023 - Tuesday 2 January 2024 (inclusive).

This means that if advertising is in progress during the exclusion period, those days cannot be included in the required 14-day advertising period.

Standard advertising days will recommence from Wednesday 3 January 2024.

About advertising

Your planning permit application may need formal public notification. This is often called 'advertising'. Your application might require it under the Planning and Environment Act 1987.

The City of Greater Dandenong assesses applications to determine if it needs to be advertised. It bases its decision on whether it thinks the proposed use and/or development might cause material detriment.

Council will consider the:

  • scale of development
  • type of land use proposed
  • hours of operation and types of activity
  • sensitivity of surrounding land uses and the local context.

If your proposal will affect neighbouring properties, Council will arrange for nearby residents to be notified by one or more of the following methods:

  • one or more notices on the subject site
  • letters posted to surrounding landowners and occupiers, and any other person or entity the proposal may affect 
  • advertisements in one or more local newspapers.

There is a fee for advertising of your planning permit application. Council will send you an invoice. You can pay it on

You must pay all fees before Council can make a decision on your application.

For more information about fees, visit the Planning forms, fees and information guides page.

The public might be able to view any material you submit with your application. This includes plans and personal details. 

Anyone can view advertised planning applications during the advertising period on Council’s Online Planning Register or in person at the Planning Service Counter.

Any person can object to Council granting a planning permit.