You can ask the City of Greater Dandenong for planning advice or information in writing for a fee. You can also get printed copies of planning documents for a fee.
Types of advice and documents Council offers
Planning permit requirements
You can ask for a written response that states if:
- you need a planning permit for the proposed land use or buildings and works
- any Planning Scheme requirements, zoning or overlay controls apply to the land.
Planning permit history
You can get a written Planning Permit history for the land.
Refer to the Obtain copies of planning permits and plans page if you need a copy of:
- a planning permit
- endorsed plans.
You can ask Council for a formal, written determination that a matter has been completed to the satisfaction of the Responsible Authority as required by the Greater Dandenong Planning Scheme.
Other written advice
You can ask Council for written advice on these matters:
- strategic planning
Printed versions of planning-related documents
You can ask Council for a printed copy of:
- the advertised material for a planning permit application that Council is currently considering
- a planning scheme reference or incorporated document
- approved development plan
- planning strategy or policy document.
Before you lodge your enquiry, it is advised to check the planning controls that apply to your property through planning property reports. Refer to Getting planning information about your property page for more information.
How to get written advice from Council
What you must provide
- a completed Request for Written Planning Advice/General Planning Enquiry Form (not required if your application is submitted via the Online Planning Portal)
- if your enquiry requires it, a full and current copy of the Certificate of Title no older than 90 days. It must include the Title Plan, Register Search Statement and all associated title documents known as ‘Instruments’ (including any registered restrictive covenant or Section 173 Agreements that may apply to your land)
- if your request is for advice, you can provide plans, photos or other supporting material that would assist Council to respond to your request
You must also pay the application fee when you submit your application. Applications will not be formally lodged and cannot be processed until the full application fee has been paid.
If you do not choose to submit your application via the Online Planning Portal and you wish to pay the application fee by credit card, please submit your application to Council and you will be sent an invoice. You can pay it on MyGreaterDandenong.com.
For more information about fees, visit the Planning forms, fees and information guides page.
Submit your request
Submit your request for written advice:
- electronically via the Online Planning Portal
- by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by post to Planning Department, City of Greater Dandenong, PO Box 200, Dandenong VIC 3175
- in person at the Planning Service Counter at the Greater Dandenong Civic Centre, Level 3, 225 Lonsdale Street, Dandenong.
Council’s Statutory Planning Department prefers to receive correspondence and documents electronically. This helps improve processing times and reduces paper usage, supporting Council’s vision to be a sustainable city.
What happens next?
A planning officer will assess your request and contact you.